Veal cutlets with mushrooms in a creamy sauce.
"Zürcher Geschnetzeltes", as they are known in Switzerland, are usually served with the other Swiss specialty, "Rösti" (potato pancakes) : a very tasteful combination.
|300 g||veal cutlets|
|2 tbsp||white flour (all purpose)||16 g|
|1/2||onions, finely chopped||100 g|
|11||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||150 g|
|1 1/2 tbsp||canola oil||23 mL|
|3 tbsp||white wine||45 mL|
|1 tbsp||dairy blend 5%||15 mL|
|1 tbsp||Italian parsley, fresh, chopped||5 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting.
- Flatten and tenderize the cutlets using a meat pounder. Coat them with the flour and shake off the excess. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms lengthwise.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over moderately high heat, then add the cutlets and sauté until brown, about 2 min on each side. Take the cutlets out of the skillet, transfer them to a plate and keep them warm in the oven.
- Add the onion to the skillet, lower the heat, then sauté 2-3 min until it becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms then cook 3-4 min, stirring occasionally, until the released liquid has evaporated. Deglaze with the wine and cook until the bottom of the skillet is almost dry. Pour in the dairy blend and bring just to a simmer. Put the meat back into the skillet and cook a few minutes to blend the flavours. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Serve on the warmed plates.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (200g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Omega-3, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||4|