A sophisticated, yet easy to make dish, ideal when receiving guests for dinner.
|2 tbsp||sucanat||26 g|
|1 tsp||ground cinnamon||3 g|
|1 tsp||allspice powder||3 g|
|1.2 kg||pork shoulder, without rind, fat removed|
|1||onions, sliced||200 g|
|1/3 cup||orange marmalade||85 mL|
|1/3 cup||rum||85 mL|
|1/3 cup||water||85 mL|
|2 tbsp||arrowroot||16 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Combine the sucanat and spices, then use this mixture to coat the meat. Let it set about 2 h in the refrigerator (up to overnight).
- Slice the onion, then put it in the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot. Put the meat on top of the onion. In a small bowl, mix the orange marmalade, water and rum, then pour the mixture on top.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on 'low' for 8-9 h, or until the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board. Cover with foil then let stand 10 min before slicing.
- Meanwhile transfer the cooking juices to a small saucepan. Stir in the arrowroot and cook over medium heat until the sauce has thickened, about 5 min. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the meat with the sauce.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (130g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|