Chicken in a spicy and creamy sauce.
Also known as «Chicken Makhani», it is a classic Indian dish with many different versions. This one I have inherited from my grandmother.
Before you start
This recipe requires ghee, which is clarified butter. Since it allows cooking at higher temperatures than regular butter, ghee is able to enhance the flavour of the spices. It may be homemade or bought at an ethnic market. Alternatively, it may be reaplced by a mixture of butter and oil.
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes then set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the ghee (clarified butter) over medium-high heat. Sauté the finely chopped onion and cinnamon 3-4 min then add the grated ginger, crushed garlic, cardamom pods, turmeric and minced chili pepper. Cook 1 min with constant stirring. Add the chicken pieces and sauté until they lose their pink colour. Add the tomato paste, ground almonds and diced tomatoes. Stir, cover, lower the heat and simmer about 25 min.
- In the meantime, mix the yogurt and cream in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan at the very end and cook an additional 1-2 min without letting it boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove the cardamom pods. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (250g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Folacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||4|