The recipe for this classic muffin was reviewed to include less sugar and fat, but it is still delicious!
|4||egg whites||8 tbsp|
|3/4 cup||Unsweetened Applesauce||190 mL|
|2||lemons, juiced and zested||240 g|
|1/4 cup||canola oil||65 mL|
|1/4 cup||milk, partly skimmed, 2%||65 mL|
|1/2 cup||sugar||110 g|
|1/2 tsp||salt||2 g|
|1 tsp||baking soda||3 g|
|9 g||poppy seeds||1 tbsp|
|1/2 cup||oats, organic, gluten-free||45 g|
|1/2 cup||almonds, ground||70 g|
|340 g||gluten-free flour (all purpose)||2 1/4 cups|
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F. Place 12 large paper muffin cups in one or more 12 cup muffin pan. Depending on the required amount, you may have to bake in batches.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg whites, Unsweetened Applesauce, zest and lemon juice, oil, milk, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well. It's normal that the mixture foams, it's the reaction between the baking soda and lemon juice.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and rolled oats to the bowl and mix well. Add the poppy seeds and mix well.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20-25 min, until a tooth-pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Take the pan out of the oven, then put each of the paper lined muffins on a rack to cool. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (80g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Vitamin E
- Source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||0|