The beet belongs to the list of top ten vegetables that have the best antioxidant potential.
|2||onions, chopped||400 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|9||beetroots, peeled then cut into large chunks||1.1 kg|
|1||potatoes, peeled then cut into large chunks||200 g|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|1 tbsp||gingerroot, grated||14 g|
|5 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||1.25 L|
|2 tbsp||chives, fresh, chopped||6 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the vegetables: chop the onions and garlic; peel the beets and potatoes, then cut them into large chunks.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, then sauté 3-4 min until soft. Grate the ginger and add it to the pan. Cook 1 min with stirring. Add the beets and potatoes, then pour in the broth, bring it to a boil, cover and simmer 1 h. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the pan off the heat, let it cool down a few minutes then purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Adjust the seasoning, then ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped chives, then serve (warm or at room temperature).
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (390g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Potassium
- Diet-related health claims :
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
email@example.com 10, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
The ginger makes this a great soup - easy and tasty .