Before you start
A baking or casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid is necessary for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F. Coat the pork shanks with flour.
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat in a casserole dish. Brown the shanks on all sides, about 7 min. Transfer them to a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the fennel to the casserole dish, and cook, while stirring, for 3 min, then add the onion and garlic. Sauté 2-3 min until they become translucent. Deglaze the pan with the wine and add the herbs. Put the shanks back into the casserole dish, add star anise and broth as well. Bring to a boil, then cover and place in the oven.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for about 2 h, until meat is tender and can easily be pulled apart using a fork. Serve.
This dish can be made a few days ahead and reheated over moderate heat.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (270g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2||servings|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin B2
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3|