Cooking the meat at low temperature for a long time makes it so tender, that it can be easily pulled with a fork. It can then be savoured in a sandwich or as a main course with vegetables.
|1/2||onions, finely chopped||100 g|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|3/4 cup||ketchup||190 mL|
|1/3 cup||apple cider vinegar||85 mL|
|1/3 cup||apple jelly||85 mL|
|1 tbsp||brown sugar||12 g|
|1 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce||15 mL|
|1/2 tsp||Tabasco sauce||1.25 mL|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard||15 mL|
|1 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1/8 tsp||cayenne pepper||0.4 g|
|1 kg||pork shoulder, without rind, fat removed|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic then sauté until softened and translucent, about 3 min. Transfer to the ceramic cooking pot. Add the ketchup, vinegar, apple jelly, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, oregano, and Cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine. Add a little salt.
- Add the meat and stir to coat it with the mixture. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on 'low' for 8 h.
- Take the meat out of the pot, then pull it apart with a fork. If necessary, reduce the sauce in a small saucepan, then add it to the meat. Adjust the seasoning then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (180g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Iron, Phosphorus, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|