Nutritious quinoa is the star of this tasty dessert which originates from Peru where it is known as "postre de quinoa".
- Wash quinoa in a bowl, then drain well. Bring quinoa and 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until grains are translucent, 13-15. Drain well in a sieve. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) square metal baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar (but one tablespoon) and salt until just combined. Stir in the cooked quinoa, nuts, and raisins. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and remaining sugar then sprinkle on top of the pudding. Bake in middle of oven for about 40 min, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with optional maple syrup on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (190g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6
- Good source of :
- Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Vitamin D
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||½|
|Other Foods||1 ½|