The Cornish hen is a small hybrid chicken weighing about 700 g (1 1/2 lbs) after cleaning. Because of its delicate flavour and its size (one hen is just the right amount for 2 servings), it is a perfect choice for a romantic dinner.
|1||Cornish hens, halved lengthwise through breast||700 g|
|2 tsp||olive oil||10 mL|
|1/2 cup||red vermouth||125 mL|
|3 cloves||garlic, quartered lengthwise|
|4 tsp||herbes de Provence||3 g|
|2 tbsp||water||30 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the plates warm on the stove while you're preparing the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC/450ºF.
- Brush a small amount of oil on the hens, then season them with salt and pepper. Put the hens in a baking dish, cut sides down. Cook in the middle of the oven until they are just cooked through and a little golden-coloured, about 30 min.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, simmer the vermouth, garlic, and herbs until the garlic is softened, about 15 min. Strain the liquid through a sieve to remove the herbs. Put the liquid back into the saucepan and mash the garlic into the liquid. Simmer until the liquid has reached a syrupy consistency and is reduced to a few tablespoons.
- Brush this sauce onto the hens, then roast an additional 5 min. Transfer the hens to a dish, cover loosely with aluminum foil, then let stand 5 min.
- Deglaze the baking pan with a few tablespoons of water, scraping up any brown bits.
- Transfer the hens to the warmed plates, sprinkle with the cooking juices then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (140g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin B6
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||4|