A mixture of spices, coconut milk, and banana add complexity and flavour to this soup.
|5 cups||pumpkin, cut into 1,5 cm cubes||1.1 kg|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|1||carrots, finely chopped||100 g|
|1 clove||garlic, finely chopped|
|1 stalk||celery, finely chopped||70 g|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|1||bay leaf||0.1 g|
|1||bananas, small, sliced into rounds||150 g|
|5 cups||vegetable broth, low-sodium||1.25 L|
|3/4 cup||unsweetened coconut milk||190 mL|
|1 1/4 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|1 tsp||curry powder||3 g|
|1 tsp||ground cinnamon||3 g|
|1 tsp||turmeric||3 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|2 tbsp||fresh cilantro [optional]||4 g|
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/375°F.
- Put the pumpkin, whole, on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 h until soft. Let it cool down, remove the seeds, carve out the pulp and dice it into 1,5 cm cubes. Take the required quantity and put the rest in the refrigerator or in the freezer for future use in another recipe.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, then add the chopped vegetables. Sauté until soft, about 8 min. Add the clove and bay leaf, then the banana and cook an additional 2 min. Stir in the pumpkin cubes, broth, coconut milk, cumin, curry, cinnamon, turmeric, and ground nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and cook over medium heat about 15 min to blend the flavours.
- Cool slightly, discard the bay leaf and the clove, then purée the soup in a blender. Adjust the seasoning and add more broth if the soup is too thick.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves then serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (400g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A
- Free :
- Added Sugar