Nutritional yeast adds richness and "cheesyness" to this vegan dish, plus it is a source of vitamin B. It can be found in natural food stores.
Before you start
A food processor will be very useful to grind the cashews. Cashews need to be soaked 8 h, to form a creamy paste.
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F. Prepare the vegetables: Slice the onion into thin rounds; mince the garlic; peel the potatoes then cut them into thin slices, about 0,5 cm.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, then sauté the onion and garlic for about 7 min, until softened and fragrant. Stir in the cinnamon, season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the cashews, nutritional yeast and a few tablespoons of the coconut milk. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 3 min.
- Layer the ingredients in an oven proof dish in the following order: Sweet potatoes, onion mixture, cashew cream. Repeat until the gratin has been assembled. In a bowl, mix the remaining coconut milk with the soy milk and oregano, then pour over the gratin.
- Cook in the middle of the oven until it is golden-coloured, about 30-35 min. For a nice crust, turn on the top broiler for the last 2 minutes.
- Let the gratin stand 10 min before cutting and serving it.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (200g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2
- Free :
- Added Sugar