Dark brown Puy lentils have a delicate taste and texture. If you cannot find them, replace them with green lentils.
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 stalks||celery, finely chopped||140 g|
|1 tsp||ground cumin||3 g|
|1||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|3/4 cup||green du Puy lentils (dried), rinsed and drained||150 g|
|2 cups||vegetable broth, low-sodium, hot||500 mL|
|600 g||cod fillet|
|2 tsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
It is not necessary to soak the lentils in advance.
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, and celery then cook gently, with occasional stirring, until softened, about 7 min. Add the cumin and chili pepper then cook 1 min with stirring.
- Add the lentils and cook 2 min, then pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook until the lentils are tender but still somewhat al dente, about 20-25 min.
- Meanwhile, rinse the fish and pat dry. Sprinkle it with the lemon juice, add salt and pepper to taste. Put the fish on top of the lentils, then cover and cook for an additional 10-12 min, depending on the size of the fillets. Check with a fork to see if the fish is cooked through.
- Serve immediately in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (310g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||2 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||4 ½|