A pasta sauce inspired by the classic tomato sauce, but with more vegetables, for added colour and flavour.
- Finely chop the garlic, mushrooms, basil, leek, onion and zucchini. Keep them separate, since you will need to add them to the pot at different times.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook 4-5 min, stirring often, until browned. Add the onion, leeks and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes until translucent. Then add the zucchini and red pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, basil, optional hot sauce, and oregano. Cook 5 min with frequent stirring. If in a hurry, cooking can be stopped here and the sauce puréed at this point.
- For improved taste, cover and simmer for about 45 min.
- Blend sauce in a blender until puréed.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (160g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin A, Vitamin C
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
carolineouellette13october 17, 2016
Fantastic, I would actually like to see that same on the regular meatballs. It was very good!