The green colour of this curry is due to cilantro, whose somewhat lemony and pungent flavour can be a bit of a surprise the first time round. In case you are new to cilantro, start with a smaller quantity, and add more coconut milk to balance it.
|4 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|3/4 cup||fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped||26 g|
|5 g||gingerroot, chopped|
|1/2||jalapeño pepper, fresh, chopped||16 g|
|1||onions, chopped||200 g|
|3 tbsp||lemon, freshly squeezed||1 lemon|
|cayenne pepper||0.1 g|
|1/2 tsp||curry powder||2 g|
|1/2 tsp||ground cumin||1 g|
|1/2 tsp||coriander seeds, ground||0.4 g|
|2||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into bitesize pieces||600 g|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|3/4 cup||unsweetened coconut milk||190 mL|
|3/4 cup||chicken broth||190 mL|
|1 tbsp||sugar||12 g|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon||2 g|
|4 tsp||raisins||14 g|
|1||bananas, small, cut into thick rounds||150 g|
|4 slices||canned pineapple, cut into pieces||150 g|
|2 tbsp||fresh mint, finely chopped||6 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
- Purée the garlic, cilantro, ginger, jalapeño pepper, onion, lemon juice, cayenne, curry powder, cumin, ground coriander, and a bit of salt in a blender or food processor.
- Toss together the chicken pieces with about 1 or 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan to medium heat. Add the remaining spice mixture and cook, with stirring, about 10 min, or until the paste is lightly browned.
- Stir in the coconut milk, broth, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 min.
- Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and cook 3-4 min, with stirring, or until the chicken becomes opaque.
- Add the fruits to the sauce and cook an additional 2 min. Stir in the mint, adjust the seasoning, then serve in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (230g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Niacin, Vitamin B6
|Meat and Alternatives||3|