How to choose a breakfast cereal
Muesli, bran cereals, shredded wheat, crispy oat flakes… there are so many breakfast cereals out there to choose from! What should we look for? Here are some label-reading tips to help you make the right choice.
Look for the Nutrition Facts label on the side or back of the package and choose on the basis of the following:
- Fiber: 3 grams or more per serving (to improve regularity of the digestive process)
- Proteins: about 3 grams per serving (to keep you going until lunch time)
- Fat: 3 grams or less per serving (just enough to be tasty)
- Sugar: less than 5 grams per serving (you do not need added sugar)
Finally, please remember to check the serving size on the label, since it may vary from 1/4 cup to 1 1/4 cup. So, if the sugar or fat content is given for 1/4 cup of cereals and you are eating a full cup, your intake will be 4 times higher.
For better control of fat and sugar intake, prepare your own Granola!
Latest posts by Cinzia Cuneo (see all)
- You are all invited to the Expo Manger Santé 2019 – March 1, 2019
- Shirataki/Konjac: Noodles with Zero Calories – February 27, 2019
- Spelt, a Forgotten Grain That Is Becoming Trendy Again – January 3, 2019