Oils for all occasions
Using only one type of oil is like eating only one type of fruit! Each kind of oil has its own flavour, nutritional qualities and uses.
To be on the safe side, I always stock the four following types in my pantry:
- Extra-virgin olive oil for vinaigrettes and for pouring cold over vegetables and grills.
- Either omega-3 rich and neutral tasting canola oil, or the more flavourful ordinary olive oil for cooking.
- Peanut oil for deep frying, as it is much more heat resistant than other oils.
- And finally for a special and distinct flavour in certain recipes, sesame oil or sunflower oil.
Well, whatever kind you buy, just make sure to keep it well bottled in a cool place, away from light.
Try our recipe for Classic Vinaigrette
Originally published in the Journal de Montréal on July 29, 2006.
Latest posts by Cinzia Cuneo (see all)
- You are all invited to the Expo Manger Santé 2019 – March 1, 2019
- Shirataki/Konjac: Noodles with Zero Calories – February 27, 2019
- Spelt, a Forgotten Grain That Is Becoming Trendy Again – January 3, 2019