Organic Week – September 19 to 27
September 19 to 27 is Organic Week, Canada’s largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products. Hundreds of retail locations participate in organic promotions, while over 200 community-level events are held across the country. Events include everything from pickling workshops to recipe contests, farm tours, or organic food and drink tastings.
The organic market continues to grow, as Canadian consumers look to reduce exposure to synthetic chemicals and genetically modified ingredients, and to make environmentally friendly choices. According to the Canada Organic Trade Association (COTA) the Canadian market is now the fourth largest in the world, and over 20 million Canadians choose organic products every week.
Organic Week is celebrating its 6th year anniversary this year. Events are rolling in fast. In Ontario, Organic Garage will be hosting their annual Organic Week Roadshow in support of Organic Week! In B.C., the Okanagan Greens Society will celebrate the 10th Anniversary Organic Okanagan Festival (at Summerhill Pyramid Winery).
To find more about Organic Week events or retail promotions in your area, please visit www.organicweek.ca.
If you wonder why you should support this event, here’s my TOP 4 reasons:
- Organic products meet strict national standards: The “Canada Organic” logo is the public’s assurance that products have been grown and handled according to strict procedures and rules.
- Organic methods reduce pollution and wasted energy: Studies have shown that organic farming practices can use as little as half the energy of other farming methods, and help to sequester carbon back into the soil.
- Organic farming is sustainable: Organic farmers work with nature, not against it to produce food that doesn’t degrade soil quality, ensuring future generations will have access to the rich farmland that exists in Canada.
- Organic food tastes great!
Latest posts by Cinzia Cuneo (see all)
- The FODMAP Solution… Three is the Magic Number – April 10, 2017
- A Balanced Vegan Diet in 3 Easy Steps – April 4, 2017
- Adapt Your Recipes to a Slow-Cooker in 5 Easy Steps – February 27, 2017