This is not a very common allergy among infants, unlike a cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA).
When a child is allergic to bovine proteins, in addition to having to exclude cow’s milk proteins from his or her mother’s food, it will also be necessary to exclude bovine proteins: beef, veal, bison and also foods containing bovine albumin, tallow, rennet and gelatin.
It is important to note that it is not justified to avoid bovine protein altogether for all children allergic to cow’s milk because very few children allergic to cow’s milk protein are also allergic to bovine protein. On the other hand, almost all children allergic to bovine protein are also allergic to cow’s milk protein.
Soybeans, like sheep’s and goat’s milk, are among the sources of potential allergies mingled with intolerances to bovine proteins and cow’s milk proteins. However, eliminating soy should not be systematic and should first be discussed with a professional.
In conclusion, except for cases of proven allergies, it is not necessary to exclude cow’s milk protein and bovine protein from one’s diet. It is also recommended to consult with a dietitian to avoid any unnecessary restrictions, any dietary deficiencies (such as calcium, vitamin D, protein…) and especially to customize the approach and discuss the alternatives available to maintain a balanced diet.
If for personal reasons you want to eliminate red meat from your diet and you are subscribed to our meal plans, simply go to the “common exclusions” section of your profile and select “red meat”. Similarly if you are lactose intolerant there is a specific box to check. However it could be that you tolerate a small amount so there is no need to check this box if this is the case. In this way you’ll have more recipes offered to you.
* Allergies Québec: Prise en charge des allergies alimentaires. [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Nos petits mangeurs: Allergie au lait de vache [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Nutritionniste en pédiatrie: Régime d’éviction: 12 questions-réponses pour mieux comprendre [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Naitre et grandir: L’allergie au lait chez l’enfant. [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Allergie aux protéines de lait de vache: Les types d’allergie au lait de vache. [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Secallergies: Protéines bovines. [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Allergies Québec: Lait de vache. [Accessed September 7, 2020]
* Mayo Clinic: Milk Allergy. [Accessed September 7, 2020]