B9 Deficiency Anemia (Folate or Folic Acid)
The body does not have the capacity to store large reserves of vitamin B9. It is therefore necessary to regularly consume foods that are rich in this vitamin in order to maintain normal levels.
The most common symptoms indicating a folate deficiency are fatigue, headaches, pale skin and a painful tongue. Here are some of the causes of this condition:
- Insufficient intake of vitamin B9
- Long term alcoholism
- Significant blood-loss
Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) for folate (mcg / day)
|Children 1-3 y||150 mcg||150 mcg|
|Children 4-8 y||200 mcg||200 mcg|
|Children 9-13 y||300 mcg||300 mcg|
|Teenagers 14-18 y||400 mcg||400 mcg|
|Adults >19 y||400 mcg||400 mcg|
*If you are pregnant or looking to conceive, it is advisable to take a vitamin B9 (folic acid) supplement to prevent neural tube malformations. Learn more >>
Sources of folate like citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds should be favored in your diet to avoid vitamin B9 deficiency. In some cases, a folic acid supplement may be necessary.
If you suffer from a vitamin B9 deficiency, your levels of vitamin B12 should also be checked, because certain people also suffer from low levels of this vitamin. Both conditions can cause similar symptoms.
- Eat vitamin B9 rich foods, like green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits.
- Folates contained in foods are sensitive to heat. Avoid cooking foods too much and opt for cooking methods that limit nutrient loss, like pressure cooking, steaming, oven-baking or microwaving.
- If you are pregnant or trying to conceive, take a folic acid supplement.
Dietary Sources of Vitamin B9
|Breakfast cereal, corn flakes||330 ml
(1 1/3 cups)
|Veal liver, sautéed||90 g||288|
|Enriched macaroni, cooked||250 ml
|Brussels Sprouts||250 ml
|Orange Juice||125 ml
Here are 3 recipes high in vitamin B9 :
Latest posts by Marie-Maxime Bergeron (see all)
- How to Increase your Intake of Omega 3 (Video) – March 17, 2017
- How to Make Sense of the Food Industry’s Marketing Terms? – February 13, 2017
- B12 Deficiency Anemia – August 15, 2016