The Hidden Power of Food
As part of Nutrition Month 2018, I want to take you on a journey; discovering the different powers of food…
The potential to fuel
Finding yourself hungry mid-morning before lunch or in the car when driving home from work? To maintain a good level of energy throughout the day, snacks can lend a hand!
Au lieu du sac de chips ou de la barre de chocolat, voici quelques idées de collations plus nutritives, rapides et faciles à préparer:
- Edamame. They are just as good hot, as they are cold the next day for lunch!
- Apple with cheddar cheese or almond butter.
- Roasted chickpeas.
- Cheesy Vegan Popcorn. Adding nutritional yeast as a seasoning adds a little protein and vitamins at the same time.
- Crudités & Hummus. You can even make your own hummus!
Before digging into a snack, always ask yourself if you are eating because you are really hungry or if it’s because you are bored … For some tips to help differentiate between the two, check out the article Intuitive Eating: Dieting the Easy Way.
The potential to discover
40% of families don’t involve their children in preparing or planning meals. However, we know that including children in these activities will help them to develop healthy lifestyle habits right from the start; positively affecting the rest of their lives!
Here are some ideas of what children can do to participate, according to their age:
- 1-3 years
- Wash fruits and vegetables
- Add toppings to a dish
- Put ingredients in a bowl
- Put paper cups in the muffin tin
- 3-5 years
- Set the table
- Peel a hard-boiled egg
- Make a sandwich or put the prepared ingredients on a pizza
- Peel an orange
- Build a fruit salad
- 5 years and +
- Pour milk or water into glasses and put on the table
- Measure the ingredients for a recipe
- Build a salad, a parfait, etc.
- Mix the ingredients to make muffins
SEE ALSO »»» TOP 10: Simple & Easy Recipes for Beginner Cooks
Latest posts by Jef L’Ecuyer (see all)
- March is Nutrition Month – February 25, 2019
- What to Eat on a Liquid Diet? – February 19, 2019
- Orthorexia: When “Eating Healthy” Becomes an Obsession – January 29, 2019